Finding new read alouds is a lot of work!!! Keeping ahead of all of those awesome readers that you have in your class can be tough. Not to mention finding books that the other grades don't read. Then to top it off, you need to pre-read it to make sure that it is completely appropriate. Doesn't it just drive you nuts when you think that you have found THE book and then when you are almost at the end they write something that you know would put a few parents over the edge!!! Well, we were thinking that we could be a great resource for each other. We have compiled our top ten read aloud list and would LOVE if you added any of your favorites in the comment section.
As a side note....we both tend to love books with a good sense of humor. Most are not very serious, but they are all books that we love enough to read more than once!
Our top 10 read-aloud chapter books:
1. Roscoe Riley Rules by Katherine Applegate (They LOVE the entire series.)
2. Clementine by Sara Pennypacker and Marla Frazee (Its a series, but the first one is the best.)
3. The Amazing World of Stuart by Sara Pennypacker (We have only read the first one.)
4. My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannet (The whole series is great!)
5. Lulu and the Brontesaurus by Judith Viorst
6. Gooney Bird Greene by Lois Lowery (It's a series but the first one is the best.)
7. The Power of Un by Nancy Etchmendy (This is more of an end of the year second grade choice.)
8. Welcome to the Bed and Biscuit by Joan Carris
9. Stink by Megan McDonald (The entire series is pretty fun. Take your pick!)
10. Captain Awesome by Stan Kirby (We have read the first two. They are VERY quick reads.)
11. Dodger and Me byJordan Sonnenblick
Keep On Dancing In Your Teacher Shoes!
Deanna and Jenelle